What are typical Pixie Bob cat traits? Read on to find out some fun facts that you might now know.
Although the breed is considered wholly domestic, when it comes to kittens there are some noticeable differences between the Pixie Bob cat traits and its non-pedigreed cousins. So here are some fun facts that you might not know.
- Females give birth approximately after 65-67 days of gestation. Domestic house cats are pregnant for around 63-65 days. The average size of a Pixie Bob litter is about 3-4 kittens. Litters with only one kitten and as many as 10 kittens have been reported (yes, that happened, and they all survived).
- Pixie Bob kittens weigh around 4.5 ounces at birth. That is slightly larger than the average domestic kitten birth weight of 3.5 ounces. Birth weights as high as 6 ounces have been reported although they are the exception and not the norm.
- Just like any other kitten, Pixie Bob kittens are born blind and deaf. The hearing starts to develop at 1 week of age, eyes start opening at days 10-14.
- Polydactyl Pixie Bob kittens are slower to start walking. Those big paws just require a tad bit more coordination.·
They weigh around 3-3.5 lbs. when they are 10-11 weeks old. An average domestic kitten would weigh 2-2.5 lbs.
- No special diet is required. They can eat regular, high-quality kitten kibbles and wet food and ideally a combination of both.
- They should stop eating kitten food when they turn 6 months old. Kitten food is high in fat and can cause adult obesity if fed past 6 months.
Pixie Bob Cat Traits – Paws, Tails & More
- 50% of all Pixie Bob kittens are born with a long tail.
- Two straight-footed parents cannot produce a polydactyl kitten. However, two polydactyl parents can produce a litter of kittens with just straight feet.
- Long-haired kittens have only about double the coat length of short-haired kittens and no longer than 2 inches.
- The pattern on a Pixie Bob coat goes through to the skin. If you shave a Pixie Bob, you can still see the spots/stripes on the body.
- The life expectancy of a Pixie Bob kitten is the same as any domestic cat at about 13-17 years (if kept inside exclusively).·
- Distemper and rabies vaccines are not an issue with this breed. All other vaccines are considered non-core and should be avoided.·
- One of the most distinguishable Pixie Bob cats traits is their intelligence. Most can follow basic commands such as “come,” “no,” “get off” (that kitchen counter), and most know their name. But because they are a cat, after all, don’t blame them for trying….to get on that kitchen counter.·
- This breed enjoys water. It’s not unheard of that they welcome a small wading pool during the hot summer days or play with their water fountain.·
- Have a dog? No problem! Pixie Bobs like dogs – even if they were not raised with dogs. That’s why we call them “dogs in disguise.”